Friday, August 15, 2014

A 30-day Update on My Quest for Better Health

It has been 30 days since I decided to see if I could lose weight through a concerted effort using diet and exercise. So far, the results have been all positive. I have lost a little over 20 pounds in the four weeks, and I have been losing the weight at a constant 5 pounds a week.  I would attribute almost all of this to decreased meal portion sizes and a religious devotion to recording everything that passes across my lips. 

I am obsessed with measuring everything to get as accurate of an estimate of my calories intake as possible.  I weigh all of the food that I prepare, and I take the time to enter the nutrient information from food packaging into my on-line dieting journal.

As I said, smaller portion sizes seem to be the big difference for me.   Observing that I can be satisfied with a few ounces of meat with a meal has been a real revelation. Before, I would easily consume four times more meat with a meal. I do not miss the larger portions.  I had been worried that, with smaller portion sizes, I would not feel fully satisfied.  That has not been the case.  However, I do tend to eat large portions of steamed vegetables with most meals, so there has been little opportunity to leave the table with an empty stomach.  

I had begun with a goal of eating no more than 2,000 calories a day, but I have found that I can get by on an average of 1,500 calories without feeling ravenously hungry.  I have noted that, if I do occasionally feel a mild hunger pang, it will often go away without me quenching it with food.  Also, I make sure that, if I do have a snack, it is something with a good nutrient content such as fruit or raw vegetables.  In fact, the hardest part of keeping to the diet is making sure I have plenty of healthy food options on hand.  I find I need to make a fruit and vegetable run to the grocery store almost every other day.

Another significant change is that I do not eat out as much as I had been.  Laura and I often dined out as many as five nights a week, both because we didn't feel like cooking or as a form of entertainment.  However, I have found that the fact that I can’t accurately gauge my caloric intake has inhibited me from dining out as frequently. Instead, I have gone back to cooking more often (which I love anyhow) so that I have maximum control of my diet.  We have eaten out once or twice since I in the past 30 days, but we have been careful to consider what we are likely to order and the caloric content before we settle on a restaurant.  If I am on the road for work, I will grab a hamburger (the smallest size) and an unsweetened ice tea for lunch. I do not order fries, not because of the calories per se, but because I have found that French fries are a source of sugar spikes which isn't good for a diabetic. 

Of course, I do not live a life of Spartan deprivation. For the past two Sundays I have attended Orioles games, so I made a point to allow space in my daily calorie budget for a beer and Italian sausage.  That way, I don’t feel deprived, while at the same time I do feel satisfaction with my healthy choices and self-control. Mostly, I have had fruit for desert or an evening snack, but last night, I had an ice cream sandwich after dinner.  No matter what eat, I make sure I monitor my overall calories, and keep an eye on the mix of nutrients throughout the week.  

One surprise is that I really have not been hitting the gym as I had planned.  The only change in my exercise regime is that I have tried to find a way to put a little extra walking on my weekly agenda. For example, when I went to the ballpark, I made a point of parking a significant distance from the stadium so I could walk to and from the stadium. Last Sunday, I parked more than 1.5 miles from the stadium on the other side of the inner harbor.  I also have made a point to take our dog on longer walks in the evening a few nights a week.

Overall, things are looking good as I am well on my way to my goal of losing 100 pounds.  One resource I have found to be quite helpful is the book: Dr Arthur Apolinario’s The Absolute Last Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Book You Will Ever Need to Read.  So far, the advice presented in that book has been spot on.   I also would like to thank all those who have been encouraging me on Facebook and as a result of this blog. That has helped me keep my focus and motivation.  Keep watching my blog for future updates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How about a dialog? Let me know what is on your mind.